Saturday, October 4, 2008

Far from the Black Forest

I've stumbled across the pinnacle of all Anglicized names. While in a book store which also sold art supplies, I was shopping for an easel, and asked the nice Philipino man in the art section if the floor model I liked was the only one or if they had any others in stock (I'm quickly realizing that if you find something you like, buy it, or buy several, because you may never see them again). 

Then I looked at his name tag. Hansel Rivera. I fine Teutonic name for someone whose last name would go better with, say, Mariano, or even Geraldo. I had no idea that Brothers Grimm was so popular in the Far East. I never thought I'd ever meet someone named Hansel anyway, even travelling through Germany or Austria, but to have done it here... 

Now I almost feel compelled to search Qatar until I can find Gretel. It's possible. But it would be easier if all residents were all required to wear our ID in nametag format. And it would be more fun.

3 comments:

Joe Hart said...

Best of luck on your fairy tale quest. If you happen across a Rumpelstiltskin in your travels, be sure to take a picture...it's probably worth some money.

mtelafici said...

Will do Joe. Gingerbread is hard to come by here though. Might have to improvise and make do with pita.

Anonymous said...

I love the stories, I hope your doing well :)

Joseph Foley