Saturday, October 18, 2008

When Green Mosques aren't green, and you see camels instead of sheep

Driving here is one part improvisation, one part planning, and one part faith. I recently had to drive to the edge of town to pay our fee for having our cat, Iris, relocated. I was given a map. It looked vaguely (but not comfortingly) like the kind of pirate map pointing cryptically to some buried treasure, or the maps drawn in the beginning of fantasy books.

In this case, my goals were a bit more prosaic, and my landmarks were, in order: a green mosque, speed bumps, the end of the road, and some kind of rectangular building labelled "sheep." First, the green mosque - which turned out to be a mostly white mosque with green trim. Close enough, and I made an educated guess/leap of faith and made my turn there. Next were speed bumps, which are pretty hard to miss, and did not provide any problems. The end of the road was easy enough, but considering that as soon as the road ends, you have open gravel and sand, and given any possibility of driving outside of driving lanes, Qataris will do so, given 180 degrees of freedom leads to a maze of tracks. So I followed the map, and wound around a couple derelict buildings. Now for the sheep - only problem was that the only livestock to be seen were camels, tended by Bedouins in dark goat-hair tents. So I headed for the only patch of irrigated green and trees, and of course called the owners of the pet relocating business, who pointed me to their place of business. Of course I didn't even bring up the lack of sheep issue; it would be a bit peevish, and just didn't seem tasteful on so many levels...

No comments: